I am learning the hard way; and because I don’t want this to happen to you, I am sharing my trials and tribulations.
- Tell them again and again and again if you ask to run any heroics, you would love to but if the baby wakes up you will have to leave. (They freaking know you have a kid under the age of 5 months. Just leave and then say you are sorry. No details needed. Of course if the house is burning down, it might be helpful to tell them, in case you can’t get to the phone to call for assistance.)
- Talk about ANOTHER 500th cute (only to you at this point) story about how the baby blew a fart.
- You attempt to resist but still fail,and talk about how adorable said child is at this moment while he sucks on his toes. (Honestly, they don’t care. Especially if they don’t have children or under the age of 25. The concept and awww factor is limited to those who are ready for kids, have them or love puppies)
- Don’t try to run a heroic or raid with your partner, EVER. Even if the baby is asleep. Both times Luis and I have attempted this, it has resulted in apologizes, emergency feedings and one-handed game play.
- Talking about one-handed game play. It is totally possible to quest one-handed while cradling a sleeping baby in your other arm. Tools needed: An armed chair and a pillow for comfort. Or in my husband case, one arm cradling while resting AJ on the Boppy pillow I used a total of three times during leave.
- Limit the baby aggro jokes. Again this falls into “while your world has changed mine has not” category for others. They don’t need another reminder you have a little one.
- Don’t put the wailing child on vent.
This is our gaming Public Service Announcement for new parents. What other tidbits do you want to share?
PS. I wonder if there is a new parents gaming support group? You know where child crazy gamers can annoy the shit out of EACH other instead of others.